Meet the Pines . . the tall one that’s Al Pine ..
The one lying down– she wanted to be a lawyer but was lazy ..that’s Su(e) Pine
There’s also the son – he’s a loner that’s L(o)u Pine
Oh, come one, it’s Xmas… a bit of crass humor is virtually obligatory at Xmas . . it’s Xmas twee . .
I’m looking for some technical help here. Having first touched a keyboard in 1970, you may find it strange to believe that I am still an unbelievably incompetent typist. Sumerian scribes could probably have produced work quicker work carving cuneiform characters into clay tablets, and I would stand no chance against a medieval monk transcribing manuscripts, who would even have time for a coffee between pages . .
Although I clearly use my Mac on a daily basis, for actually writing I prefer pen and paper – hence the nature of this site – which allows me to write at home, on the train in a plane or most likely, in a bar. I have several projects which I want to get seriously underway but the thought of even more hours in front of my Mac – beautiful though it is – does not appeal. So not wanting to lug a Macbook around these are my preferred options.
- To write with a decent(!) pen in my Moleskine, on ordinary paper or just on a paper napkin, if need be!– then to have available some form of OCR to scan the writing into the Mac OR possibly a voice recognition package to convert my spoken prose in to text
- To use some sort of digital pen which stores the info for later transfer.
- To use a tablet and stylus to speed up the process (though it limits me to working at the Mac.)
- To spend money on an iPad and use a handwriting recognition app.
So a few questions.
1. OCR software – I know there’s lots of stuff out there but has anybody any experience of it especially with a Mac.
2. Digital pens – again there seem to be several out there Livescribe ECHO Smartpen seems to get good reviews but requires special paper. Any advice?
3. I’ve used stylus/tablet in the past for graphics and instead of a mouse, and quite like it. Any preferences?
4. iPad this is not really an ideal solution because it’s the most expensive I suspect and it means carrying around yet another piece of kit plus charger when I go away. Any experiences with the handwriting recognition on the ipad?
So there’s the situation and I’m sure there will be somebody out there able to give me that Eureka moment!
Just returned home from a gig at Tymory- a ‘pub’ in Bettolle. GREAT night!
We hit the stage running as they say – -the place absolutely packed- yes on a Wednesday . . . and had a great time . . . and the audience loved it . . . return gig already booked. 🙂
Roberto Neri the guy who owns it is lovely- he can’t do too much for us— we ate and drank, played, played some more and then did a third short encore set… and then ate and drank. Fantastic evening. And now it’s 4.33 am and I still am not ready to sleep. . . . .
Well I’ve just reached 600 posts and over 68,000 views which sounds like a lot to me but then seeing as there have been more than 760,000 posts today on WordPress then maybe it’s not much… ah, well . . . .